My wife asked me this question (it was asked of her- to ask me)
What is the best designed car?
Ok, so to any car designer- this is the question of all questions. I find it hard to answer with just one car. I narrowed it down to a few and I thought I would make a page here to try and work up a list of the best designed cars in history. Really it comes down to what the definition of design is- if it is purely looks, or deeper. The best looking car, is somewhat different to the best car. If we use that idea, the best designed is perhaps the one that combines both aesthetics and function perfectly. Being a designer also means that I often judge a design by how much of it I would want to change. If I could not in any way change or improve on a design, or even feel that the designers of the car could have improved on the design, then I feel it is perfect.
For me there is actually one choice : The McLaren F1 designed by Gordon Murray, and styled by Peter Stevens.
The all-time shortlist includes a few others:
- Aston Martin DB9 (Wayne Burgess and Ian Callum)
- Audi TT Mk1 (J Mays, Freeman Thomas, Peter Schreyer)
- VW Golf Mk1 (Giorgetto Giugiaro)
- Lamborghini Miura (Marcello Gandini)
- Lotus Esprit S1 1972 (Giorgetto Giugiaro)
- Austin Mini 1959 (Sir Alex Issigonis)
- Dodge Charger 1968 (Richard Sias did the ’68, Harvey J. Winn did ’69 facelift!)
- Nissan 300ZX (Toshio Yamashita)
- Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint 1959 (Bertone)
- Renault Twingo 1993 (Patrick Le Quément, and Jean-Pierre Ploue)
- Ford Mustang Fastback 1966 (David Ash and John Oros)
- Audi A6 1998